Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge over the Firth of Forth in Edinburgh in Scotland. The bridge is 2,512 meters long and has a main span of 1,006 meters. Construction of the bridge started in 1958, the bridge opened in 1964. The bridge replaced the ferry connection.
In 2004, the main cable opened for inspection for signs of corrosion. It was discovered that 8 -10% of the cable had been lost due to corrosion. It was installed a system that blows dry air through both main cables to reduce humidity. Since the 90s there have been proposals for a bridge to replace the Forth Road Bridge. In 2011 started the construction of the bridge Queensferry Crossing.