The Briare Aqueduct crosses the Loire River at Briare in France. The aqueduct is 662 meters long and consists of fifteen spans of 40 metres. The canal is 6 meters wide, 2.2 meters deep and the weight of the water is 13,000 tonnes.
The aqueduct was built from 1890 to 1896. Gustave Eiffel was responsible for the stone foundations and Daydé & Pillé of Creil was responsible for the steel works.
It was the largest aqueduct for boats until the Magdeburg Water Bridge opened in 2003.
The Briare aqueduct is part of the Canal latéral à la Loire which is 196 kilometers long.